Photography Gallery 9<< Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next >>
Pink Flowers in Bohemia: Beautiful Old Fashioned Garden in Prague, Czech Republic
Walking in through the Historic Grounds of the Mission San Carlos Borromeo in Carmel by the Sea, California
Minty Green Translation: People Strolling Along the Charles Bridge at Night. Prague, Czech Republic
Anguillara Sabazia: Small Traditional Town Huddled Up on the Hilly Shores of Lake Bracciano, Italy
Huge, But Only Half There. St. Joseph's Oratory Looming in the Fog of Montreal, Province of Quebec
Saint Joseph's Oratory of Mount Royal, (French: Oratoire Saint-Joseph du Mont-Royal), is a Roman Catholic basilica on the northern slope of Mount Royal in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. In 1904, André Besette (Alfred Bessette) began the construction of a small chapel on the side of the mountain near Notre Dame College. Soon, it became much too small. Even though it was enlarged, in 1917, a church was built, called the crypt, with a seating capacity of 1,000. In 1924, the construction of the basilica was inaugurated; it was finally completed in 1967. The Oratory's dome is the second-largest of its kind in the world after Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome, and the church is the largest in Canada. Source: Wikipedia.
Creepy Gnarled Trees With Bare Branches and Old Spooky Buildings. Pennsylvania University Campus
Energetic Towers of Flowers: Red Hollyhocks Demand Attention in a California Mission
Fountain With a Happy, Topless Sculpture in it. Grant Park, Chicago
Grant Park's beginnings date to 1835, when foresighted citizens, fearing commercial lakefront development, lobbied to protect the open space. As a result, the park's original area east of Michigan Avenue was designated "public ground forever to remain vacant of buildings." Officially named Lake Park in 1847, the site soon suffered from lakefront erosion. The Illinois Central Railroad agreed to build a breakwater to protect the area in exchange for permission for an offshore train trestle. After the Great Fire of 1871, the area between the shore and trestle became a dump site for piles of charred rubble, the first of many landfill additions. In 1901, the city transferred the park to the South Park Commission, which named it for Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885), 18th President of the United States. Renowned architect Daniel H. Burnham envisioned Grant Park as a formal landscape with museums and civic buildings. However, construction was stalled by lawsuits launched by mail-order magnate Aaron Montgomery Ward, who sought to protect the park's open character. Finally, in 1911, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled in Ward's favor. New landfill at the park's southern border allowed construction of the Field Museum to begin, and the park evolved slowly. In 1934, the South Park Commission was consolidated into the Chicago Park District, which completed improvements using federal relief funds. — Chicago Park District
Sculpture of a Griffin, Symbol of London, With its Wings Spread Wide Open
The griffin, griffon, or gryphon (Greek: ??????, gr?ph?n, or ???
Water Blooming: Lily Pads and Flowers in Staten Island, New York
Through a Wet Wall: Baltimore Seen from Behind a Cascading Sheet of Water in a City Park
Ram's Head Water Spout Set into the Wall. Chateau Ramezay Garden, Montreal, Canada
The Ch?teau Ramezay is a museum and historic building on Notre-Dame Street in Old Montreal, opposite Montreal City Hall. Built in 1705 as the residence of then-governor of Montreal, Claude de Ramezay, the Ch?teau was the first building proclaimed as a historical monument in Quebec and is the province's oldest private history museum. It was designated a National Historic Sites of Canada in 1949. Over the years, the Ch?teau changed owners and functions several times, with Ramezay's descendants selling the manor to the fur-trading Compagnie des Indes.